3/28/2009

1/144 Lufthansa Boeing 707-430

Boeing 707 was the first jet airliner for Lufthansa in 1960. A year later this particular plane entered Lufthansa's fleet with the registration D-ABOG. Minicraft has released a kit of the long distance version of the 707 with Rolls Royce Conway turbofan engines.


I knew I had to build this model when I first saw the PR photos of the Lufthansa 707 from the 60's. Trouble was, it wasn't easy to find the kit and I had to order it from Netherlands in the end. The quality of this kit was a bit disappointing, details were somewhat soft and the recessed panel lines were too wide for my tastes.


Likewise the decals were otherwise okay, but they were slightly transparent and didn't fit too well on the fuselage. I decided not to touch up the decals afterwards, despite the differing shades and few mismatches.



It's not a showroom stopper model, but I still like the scheme and overall shape. There wasn't much I could have done otherwise even if I had known the problems in advance. There just aren't any good 707 kits in the market, so I'm still satisfied I got this far with it.


A modern Revell 707 kit with one of their excellent decal sheets would be a treat, but meanwhile this will do fine.

No comments: