4/13/2009

1/144 SAS McDonnell Douglas DC-10-30 Airfix

The biggest bird in my 1/144th DC-series is the intercontinental version DC-10-30 built from the Airfix kit. It wasn't an easy build at all, but I like the finished model nevertheless. The Airfix kit may be old and somewhat inaccurate, but still it looks very much like a DC-10 in the end of the day.


I had planned on using the American Airlines decals provided with the kit, but the window cheatlines were a disaster. Thus I had to give up with the perfect silver finish and build up a white fuselage instead for the SAS decals. That wasn't easy to do either.



All painting was done with my workhorse Iwata HP-C airbrush and mostly Revell enamels, paint codes are gloss 04 white, semi-gloss 371 gull gray and Miranol enamel silver. There is a light finishing coat of Johnson floor wax on the fuselage and engine nacelles too.



The ground clearance for the engines is way too low in this kit, but as there was no easy way to correct it in the later building phase I decided to let it go. I like to build out of the box anyway!




Despite the fact that the fittings may be lousy and mouldings less than perfect, I still can't stop loving Airfix kits. They may be somewhat challenging to build sometimes, but always a lot of fun and that's what it's all about.

No comments: