3/21/2010

Amelia Earhart's Lockheed Electra Model 10 (Reg. NR16020) 1/72 MPM/Special Hobby

Back in 1/72nd scale with Amelia Earhart's notoriously famous flying around the world attempt Electra. This is a limited run Czech injection kit and unfortunately one can also notice the fact when building it. It isn't completely horrendous, but there are some serious fit issues like engine cowlings for instance.




There are also a lot of good things like all fine interior resin bits, thin decals and nice fitting vacuform canopy, but as a whole this kit isn't for beginners.







Some modifications were needed when compared to a standard Electra Model 10, Earhart's plane was fitted with extra fuel tanks in the fuselage and a window in the cabin door for instance.





Antenna details, pitot tubes and such were made from scratch, but according to the kit instruction sheet.







This kit may not be 100% accurate in shape or details, but it matches the reference photos quite well. The original plane wasn't too big for a 2-motor passenger plane anyway.






The aluminium livery was painted with a paintbrush, it might be a bit boring but historical accuracy is much more important with this model. It's not perfect, but I built it all by myself and I've always wanted to build it. That's what it's all about scale modeling, isn't it?

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Wade, I'm just setting out in building this Special Hobby kit, and as I am a beginner in modelling I need all the help I can get. I too am going for the very shiny paint job, and your photos and comments on the kit are very helpful to me. The standard of your work is terrific. Well done!

Jamie said...

Wade, I'm just setting out in building this Special Hobby kit, and as I am a beginner in modelling I need all the help I can get. I too am going for the very shiny silver paint job, and your photos and comments on the kit are very helpful to me. The standard of your work is terrific. Well done!