3/07/2009

1/144 United DC-3 "Mainliner San Francisco"

Minicraft has released the famous Douglas DC-3 in various liveries in the 1/144th scale, this is the United Airlines Mainliner "San Francisco".




Building this kit was quite straightforward and easy, despite the diminutive size of the model. As usual with DC-3 kits, the bottom seam of the fuselage and trailing edge needed special attention.
The overall shape is acceptable, the only thing I corrected was the top of the tail which I sanded down to a more rounded style.


I tried a new method here with the fuselage and wing bottom seam, using cyanoacryate and baking soda as a putty. It hardened quick for sure but wasn't too easy to sand down afterwards, it is a technique I have to practice more with some another projects.



I airbrushed this model with Tikkurila Miranol Silver decoration paint, it contains real aluminum particles and looks nice with any scale. The decals were pretty comprehensive for such a small scale, unfortunately the ''United Airlines" and "Mainliner" were printed in an odd looking shade of red. I'm no expert here, so they may be correct after all. I was quite satisfied with this DC-3 when it was finished, but nowadays I think I could do even a bit better with it. So, maybe if I find a nice livery to go with the good quality basic kit, who knows...

No comments: