3/08/2009

1/72 UTA Douglas DC-6B

One of the latest models I've finished is this French Union de Transport Aeriens (UTA) DC-6B in 1/72 scale. It's a large bird and built from the Heller kit. I choose the French operator over the Scandinavian Airlines System option, because I thought the decals for SAS looked somewhat odd in my opinion.


I knew the landing gears were fragile, yet I trashed the nose gear completely by accident. That's why this model is on a display stand, besides large (around 40 centimeters long) it's pretty heavy too for a plastic scale model.



The decals were sharply printed, but very, very fragile and that caused me a lot of grief during the final phases. Fortunately I was able to patch most of the cheatlines with matching Revell enamels. The white roof was airbrushed with several coats of enamels, other areas were done with a paintbrush.


I had high hopes and expectations for this kit, but despite my best effort it turned out to be more like a travel agency resin model, which is still nice. Maybe I am actually spoiled by all these new Revell and Minicraft kits after all!

No comments: