1/11/2009

Deutsche Luft-Hansa Heinkel He-70 Blitz "D-UMIM, Albatros"

This small plane was used for Lufthansa express and mail routes within Germany in the 1930's. I built this 1/72 scale model from a Matchbox kit some 10 years ago, using "Ernst Heinkel - Pionier der Schnellflugzeuge" book as a reference. I got a 1950's edition as an interlibrary loan from Germany.


At that time I was quite pleased with my building results, today I would do some things a bit differently. It is a nice kit anyway (Revell has reboxed it recently) and despite the errors I made it is an example of my building history and valuable for me in this aspect too.


All streamlined features like retractable landing gear, flowing body lines and elliptical wings are well represented in this kit.





With a length of 12 meters and wingspan of 14.80 meters it was a compact plane for 4 passengers and crew of 2.






This model was hand painted with Revell enamels and decaled with kit decal sheet. Final matt varnish is Revell also. Decals matched original photos quite well.




Landing gear assembly looks more complicated to build than it actually was.

No comments: