2/11/2010

TWA Lockheed 1049 Super Constellation N7101C Heller 1/72

Lockheed Constellation is my favourite airliner and this big model was built over 10 years ago. The final varnish coat has already yellowed as the white paint under it as well, but it just adds the charm.





Old Heller kits tend to be tricky to build, but the results are usually quite accurate considering the time they were released. I don't recall any particular problems with this model, except that I had to keep adding those nose weights up to a ridiculous amount of metal.




The antennas and some wing top details are missing, but I want to keep this just as it is, a happy reminder of the essence of scale modeling.


This Connie was built with very modest skills back then, but I still like the results in a nostalgic way. I don't know if I have room for another 1/72 Connie, but most certainly would like to try it again at least in the 1/144 scale.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi _ Connie N7101 pictured is a model of an aircraft that crashed on take off in Chicago ? in the 50's apparently no fatalities but beyond repair, retired and disassembled , interesting history and someone at the model mfr must have decided to dedicate this one cheers gary

Anonymous said...

Hi _ Connie N7101 pictured is a model of an aircraft that crashed on take off in Chicago in the 50's apparently no fatalities but beyond repair, retired and disassembled , interesting history and someone decided to dedicate this model

Anonymous said...

I found some pics of n7101 after damage at chicago 1960? how can I send them to you / you might get a kick out of them