2/07/2010

Swissair McDonnell Douglas DC-9-30 HB-IFY Fly 1/144

A brand new DC-9 kit from Czech manufacturer Fly and no doubt the best one at that so far. This isn't for the beginners, but it isn't a limited run nightmare either.





Box decals were for a NASA plane, but I wanted something different and used F-DCAL silk screen Swissairs instead. They are issued for the old Airfix kit, but fortunately they fit this Fly kit quite well too. Only the nose anti-glare panel was too narrow.


There's no glosscoat on the wings or stabilizers, just on the white top and over the decals. Resin antennas were included, but I didn't want to use them as I intend to keep this model out of a display case.



I'm not sure if I like the cockpit window rivets, but otherwise this nose looks remarkably similar to the real DC-9. Much better than Airfix, or Minicraft.

A classic livery on a classic plane, Revell white enamel and Miranol Koristemaali silver paint compliment the bright decals.


Unless I get really lucky with finishing next time there isn't much room for improvement I think, this is as good as it gets with these skills of mine.



A Finnair DC-9-50 conversion is possible, but it means fiddling with both the kit and the decals. Maybe some day...

No comments: